ATC Tires Private Ltd. Tirunelveli Plant (ATG-TN)
Manufacturing of Agricultural, Forestry, Construction, Industrial and OTR tiresTotal site area
47.04 haNumber of employees
2,241 (as of December 2018; includes contracted laborers)Location
Sipcot SEZ, A-2, Sipcot Industrial Growth Centre, Gangaikondan, Dist. Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu – 627 352, IndiaContact for consultation and complaints
Human Resources and Administration Dept.
Tel: +91-46-2398-7312 Fax: +91-46-2398-7399
Message from the President
・In establishinghigh standards whichhave as their top priority environmental, health and safety policies,we are focusing upon developing a culture that is capable of achieving sustainable and reliable performance.
・Throughout our entire product range, we manufacture extremely cost-effective and high-quality tires. Accordingly, we are wellregarded by our customers aroundthe world.
・By greatly reducing development timelines for new products, we provide our customers with new products that can act as additional sources of sales and profitability.
・To make the company’s total employee involvement CSR program effective, by conductingContinuous Maintenance Program, we can deliver a great driving force to help resolve all our improvement targets.
・In undertaking our business activities, as a company we are committed to complying with all local laws and regulations.
・To draw on and utilize the experience and expert knowledge of YRC, we are proactively receiving both the support and cooperation of the YRC management team. What is more,we are proactively learning and employing YRC best practices for manufacturing sites, and in doing so we are strengthening both our own manufacturing processes and the performance of our products.
In keeping with the ATC core values, this company undertakes suitable business activities with an emphasis being placed upon value creation. To achieve the organizational objectives which we base upon such behavior, we remain committed to superior levels of corporate governance while managing our business.
This policy covers various fields such as compliance with applicable laws and responsibilities to shareholders, etc.
Schedule of Authority (SOA)
Through the SOA published in July 2014, andsubsequently revised on two occasions (in May of 2017 and in January of 2018), we are clarifying a range of decision-making rights within our organization.
UsingLegatrix, an online legal tool, we have been promoting and undertaking surveillance activitiesfor the purpose of having our compliance functions within the company operate correctly.
Organizational Structures & Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
In order to improve the corporate reporting system, we review our organizational system every quarter.
Furthermore, each department has its own SOP to assure the maintenance of consistent product quality.
An “employee handbook” setting out all the company’s policies relating to its employees was made public in November of 2016. It was subsequently revised on two occasions (on July 27of 2017, and on January 10of 2018). Everybody who we employ is thus notified as to policy details. Employees are also given an overview of the company’s processes and their advantages.
Usage of mobile devices
Policies covering both the usage and connection of mobile handsets and devices were included in the employee handbook on October 4of 2017.
Concerning the company’s whistleblower policy, in addition to it acting to protect employees from unethical business practices, we have put in place our “Vigil System” to provide for the reporting of real concerns and complaints.
Furthermore, regarding both the basic principles of the company’s business and the reporting of any habitual practices, such matters are processed using methods that are fair and unprejudiced as isregulated by the corporate laws of 2013 and company rules 177 (9) and (10) from 2014.
All the company’s policies are published on the intranet portal that acts as anin-house communications server, and through that channel all employees are made aware of their details.
Preventing sexual harassment
Our “Sexual Harassment Prevention Policy” is the result of considerable hard work on the part of ATC India Pvt. The aim of this Policy is to provide employees with a workplace that is free from sexual harassment, intimidation, and exploitation.The objectives outlined in the Policy are to protect all employees in the specified workplaces from the misery of sexual harassment, and provide assistance in cases where it has been experienced, as well as protecting employees from related problems.
In order to raise awareness among all of the company’s employees, sexual harassment prevention training is being implemented in individual workplaces in line with the Policy.
The company has established an Internal Complaints Committee which is responsible for the following matters:
- Investigating all formal complaints of sexual harassment.
- Implementing appropriate corrective measures in relation to reports of sexual harassment.
- Combating and preventing employment-related sexual harassment.
The company’s corporate values, which are outlined below, offer assurance that the proper approach will be adopted in all of our business activities:
The company will maintain fairness in its dealings with all stakeholders, and it will always act in an appropriate manner.
“Responsibility to explain”:
The company recognizes the need for accountability in all of our actions, and in relation to all of our responsibilities.
The company’s Code of Conduct includes the following stipulations relating to discrimination and harassment:
The company shall maintain a workplace environment in which every employee is protected from discrimination or harassment based on race, gender, nationality, age, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, genetic information, sexual preferences, disability, or other aspect of the employee’s status or personal characteristics that is protected by law, and in which every employee is able to maximize their potential.
Quality, Environment, Health and Safety (QEHS) Policy
ATC Tires Pvt Ltd, which is a company engaged in the manufacturing of off-the-road (OTR) tires, is committed to the creation, maintenance and assurance of product quality, health and safety, and environmental protection, for all of the people and businesses with which the company is involved. This stance is a vital element in our planning and decision-making, and it is embodied in the following items.
- In carrying on our business activities, we demonstrate respect and care for our customers, people in general, and the environment.
- By manufacturing and providing products that meet our customers’ needs, we realize customer satisfaction.
- We meet product quality requirements.
- We ensure the health and safety of all of the company’s stakeholders in our workplaces.
- We fulfil our legal compliance responsibilities in relation to environmental risks and occupational health and safety risks.
To this end, we realize the following items:
- We safeguard the environment by ensuring efficient utilization of resources (through recycling, etc.) and through pollution prevention, and we use new technologies etc. to properly manage emissions from production processes.
- To protect against injuries and illnesses resulting from occupational health and safety incidents, we ensure that appropriate systems and processes are put in place for all employees.
- We make use of a variety of different forums to promote dialog with all of our stakeholders in regard to quality, health and safety, and environmental performance.
- We make efforts to conserve biodiversity in our business activities.
- We implement ongoing improvements in regard to the effectiveness of our integrated management systems and their performance.
- We shall disclose this policy to stakeholders.
Our company strives to provide a safe, healthy workplace environment in all regions.
Each and every workplace is operated according to the health and safety requirements of all applicable regions, states, and countries, and there is a requirement that workers not be under the influence of illegal drugs, alcohol, or other illegal substances. All employees have a responsibility to support the maintenance of a safe and healthy workplace by obeying applicable laws and codes of conduct.
Additionally, a handbook for employees on safety and first-aid measures has been developed and distributed. A safety guide has also been prepared for visitors and it is given to all outsiders who happen to come to the plant
Social Security and Health Insurance
Our company provides employees with social assurance coverage and medical/injury insurance such as PF, ESIC, Gratuity, and Group Personal Accident Insurance, etc.
As a senior level resource, we undertake to oversee and ensure occupational health and safety activities.
Collective bargaining wage agreement
In October 2018, a c ollective bargaining agreement was signed with the labor union. As a Long-Term Settlement, an agreement was concluded that covered the issues of labor wages, efficiency, output, welfare matters and the conferring of bonuses.
Celebration of festivals
The company celebrates events such as Independence Day (August 15), Republic Day (January 26), Safety Week, World Environment Day, Holi, Diwali, Pongal and AyudhaPooja, etc. On such days, all employees participate in celebrations, and through such events their teamwork is developed, and their motivation heightened.
In handling both employee needs and business needs in terms of having our workforce respond correctly, the company undertakes to conduct activity, general and technical training.
- We planned and completed an annual training program that involved 15 types of one-day training program (carried out in conjunction with both internal and external instructors)
- The training plan covered all the work teams in the plant, and it was made up of individual programs that dealt with the topics of safety, the environment, quality, behavior and skills.
- Roughly 250 participants made up of members of staff and worksite employees took part in in-house programs that covered a range of topics including organizing and tidying workplaces, operating PCs (Microsoft Excel), dealing with product faults, and resolving instances of trouble, etc.
- The average hours of training undertaken in 2018amounted to 14.8 hours per employee.
We undertake the following additional measures:
- Visit of condolence todeceased employees.
- Astaff canteen facility is provided for plant employees.
- Transportation (buses) is provided for all employees on all shifts.
- 5S audits are conducted each month. 5S programs are carried out throughout the plant, with the plant itself divided into 31 specific zones.
- We have started a Kaizen Corner on December 14 of 2016. It displays ongoing kaizen efforts with respect to individual issues concerning safety, the environment, quality, distribution and cost. It also highlightscontinuous Kaizen activities and employee consciousness (morale levels, etc.). Since November of 2017, all employees who have participated in kaizen activities have received certificates in recognition of their efforts and their desire.
Move the screen to the left or right to see the table information
|Category||FY 2014||FY 2015||FY 2016||FY 2017||FY 2018|
|Waste generated (t)||—||—||1,060||1,340||3,119|
|Proportion sent to landfill (%)||—||—||—||—||0.08|
|Landfill waste (t)||—||—||—||—||2.5|
|Energy consumption||Coal consumption (kt)||—||—||26,838||35,171||44,146|
|Electricity consumption (Mwh)||—||—||41,413||43,400||47,636|
|Greenhouse gas emissions (1,000t-CO2)||—||—||—||—||130|
|Water usage (1,000m3)||—||—||325||333||340|
- FY: January to December
- Greenhouse gas emissions were calculated based on the Calculation and Reporting Manual for Greenhouse Gas Emissions jointly published by the Ministry of the Environment and the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Japan. The calculation of emissions from overseas business locations since FY2015 has been based on the Greenhouse Gas Protocol Initiative.
In December of 2017 and January of 2018, the company constructed a biogas plant (capable of processing 250 kilograms of biomatter a day). From the 90 to 110 kilograms of food leftovers and vegetable scraps generated by the canteen facility daily, biogas is created. That resource is now used to power the biogas stove used for cooking in the canteen.
Within the plant grounds, we have started to plant seedlings. Under the direction of Professor Fujiwara, at the first Forever Forest Project plantings on August 18 of 2017, we managed to plant some 4,927 seedlings within an area of 117 meters. The plantings were done in accordance with the Miyawaki Method. In the future, we will plant an additional 500 seedlings each month.
In fiscal 2018, we held the tree-planting event with local children.
Fair Operating Practices
Code of conduct to regulate fair competition and trade
The tire business is a competitive industry. Nevertheless, at this company we are entirely committed to behaving in a manner that supports fair competition and business dealings.
All our employees are required to act ethically, and to communicate frankly and honestly. We act fairly in all our dealings with colleagues, managers, customers, suppliers, consultants, and government officials (both domestically and overseas).
Community Involvement and Development
Social contribution activities
We engage in the following activities:
- A program was held in support of female employment; it was undertaken for the purpose of helping improve lifestyle habits and fostering the development of female entrepreneurs. The initiative itself consisted of a free sewing course for the benefit of local women.
- We have constructed public toilets in local villages.
- In responding to the wishes of a local public elementary school, we constructed a stage. We also donated furniture, water tanks and a water purifier.
- We helped construct and repair the walls and the toilets of a local public elementary school. For a smart class, we also donated sporting equipment and computers.
- In participating in a regional government human resources development program (Swachh Bharat Mission) we constructed Individual Household Latrines (IHHLs) at a village home training center.
Children’s Day celebrations
We have donated sets of stationary, etc. to local children.
Project to supply local villages with rainwater
For the purpose of supplying good-quality water to the local area, we are undertaking a project to gather and manage rainwater, and then to make it usable to local villages.