Labor practices are practices that affect employee hiring and promotion, remuneration, disciplinary action, complaint response system, transfers and reassignment, termination of employment, human resources development, occupational safety and health, and working conditions (working hours and remuneration).
Considering that all corporate activities are made possible through the labor of employees, protecting the basic rights of workers is something that is very important for both companies and society.
As a manufacturer with rubber manufacturing plants, Yokohama Rubber has established the Human Resource Policy and Basic Policy Towards Health and Safety, while the Yokohama Rubber Group Action Guidelines stipulate the company's basic policy towards creating safe and healthy workplaces and the actions that should be taken by employees.
Human Resource Policy of Yokohama Rubber
We will create an environment in accordance with our management policy of creating a workplace to value, improve, and energize people, where each of our ever-diversifying personnel can equip themselves with the necessary skills and perform by utilizing their capabilities to the fullest. Also, we aim to create a workplace where our employees can realize a work-life balance.
Furthermore, we will address the development of personnel able to perform on the global stage as a pressing issue in order to achieve the GD100 business strategies and technology strategies.
Basic Philosophy towards Health and Safety
With health and safety as the basis of all our activities, we work to prevent occupational injuries and create pleasant workplaces where employees are mentally and physically healthy.
Yokohama Rubber Group Health and Safety Policy
- All employees make safety a primary concern, and improve safety activities through their participation, actions, and cooperation with others from all office organizations and job positions.
- We faithfully adapt to laws and government guidelines related to safety and health.
- We familiarize employees with the importance of safety and health, and provide the necessary education and training.
- We work to strengthen cooperation with related partner companies and ensure the safety and health of everyone involved in business activities.
- We utilize the PDCA cycle and make continuous improvements to reduce risks for the elimination of potential hazards related to work and facilities through the Occupational Safety and Health Management System.
- We strengthen 2S activities (seiri and seiton, or sorting and straightening) based on the idea that "2S is the basis of health and safety."
- We promote a comfortable working environment where employees can work free from anxiety, and provide active support to promote mental and physical health.
- As a company that plays a role in the automobile industry, we contribute to efforts to prevent traffic accidents.
Yokohama Rubber Group Action Guidelines
We shall create workplaces that are safe and healthy
Basic Stance of the Yokohama Rubber Group
- We shall not tolerate child labor or compulsory labor at any of our member companies or suppliers.
- We shall respect the rules governing working hours, days off, leave/vacations, minimum wage, and other factors as defined by laws and regulations in host countries and regions (i.e., those where we do business).
- We shall place top priority on assurance of safety and health in the workplace, and strive to prevent accidents and disasters.
- We shall aim for the growth of all members of the Yokohama Rubber Group through their work, and proactively support their career and capacity development.
- We shall confer with worker representatives in good faith in order to build and maintain sound labor-management relations.
To practice our basic stance — our action
- We shall be on guard against the supply of labor by children who have not yet reached the employable age prescribed in the laws and regulations of the host countries, not only at member companies of the Yokohama Rubber Group but also at our suppliers.
- In the realization that all labor must be supplied voluntarily and that all workers may freely quit their jobs, we shall be on guard against the compulsory or forced supply of any labor.
- In order to build workplaces in which safety and health are assured, we shall proactively participate in activities aimed at the improvement and penetration of rules and setups for safety and health.
- We shall obey rules governing safety and health in the workplace and show concern for a good work-life balance.
- In the event of disasters, we shall respond properly, in accordance with the prescribed rules.
- We shall help employees with problems on the job to deal with them in cooperation with concerned personnel instead of treating them as personal worries or difficulties to be handled by those employees alone.
- People who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs shall not be permitted to enter the workplace.
Message from a manager
In order to establish the global human resources management system aimed for by the Yokohama Rubber Group in the future, we believe that it is even more important to become an organization where diverse human resources can perform to the fullest regardless of age, gender, nationality, etc. In order to achieve this, we will implement concrete measures including the hiring and development of human resources to support the next generation, human resource interchange of Group employees on a global level, further utilization of women, and improvement in the disabled person employment ratio. In addition, we will develop working environments that are easier to work at and enable employees to perform to their fullest by enhancing measures for childcare and nursing case and by promoting initiatives relating to mental health.
General Manager, Head of Global HR Department
As we expand the production of tires and other rubber products including hoses and conveyor belts, adhesives, and sealants in regions around the world, it is important to ingrain a culture of creating "a safe and ideal working environment and good health" that Yokohama Rubber has fostered. Through the cooperation between labor and management to establish safety and health management systems at each business location; the prevention of the recurrence of disasters and identification and eradication of latent causes of disasters through safety patrols, safety diagnosis, and follow-ups; and the elimination unexpected risks through risk assessments, we will work to make the transition from workplaces with zero accidents to workplaces with zero risks.
In addition, we will share information and activities with the relevant safety and health organizations overseas and in Japan as we aim to further improve safety levels.
General Manager, Head of Safety & Health Management Department, Corporate Social Responsibility Division
Vision for FY 2017
- Become an organization where diverse human resources can perform to the fullest regardless of age, gender, nationality, etc.
- We will establish a safety culture aiming for zero risks by promoting both physical and mental health.
Main action items to be addressed first
The following items have been established as the main action items that the Yokohama Rubber Group will address first in consideration of the level of impact of business activities and the level of social interest.