Hangzhou Yokohama Tire Co., Ltd. (CHZY)
Production and sales of tires for passenger carsTotal site area
133,000 m2Number of employees
1,297 (as of December 2018)Location
No.3 Street, Hangzhou Xiasha Economic and Technological Development Area, Hangzhou 310018, CHINAContact for consultation and complaints
TEL: +86-571-8672-5885 FAX: +86-571-8672-5753
Message from the President
Hangzhou, where Hangzhou Yokohama Tire Co., Ltd. (CHZY) is located, is a city with an excellent environment, as reflected in the Chinese saying, “paradise in heaven, and Suzhou and Hangzhou on earth.” It is a city blessed with such beautiful scenery as “West Lake,” a World Heritage site.
As always, being aware that we are in such a location, we have made improvements in order to be one of the region’s most outstanding companies in the areas of safety, environmental protection and quality management, in collaboration with the city government and the development area.
As a result, CHZY is positioned as an Environment Education Base and as a Safety Model Company. We will continue to carry out improvement activities aiming at being a company that is trusted and admired in the region.
We have been continued to enhance the basic system for internal control from the previous year, and thus there were no incidents of misconduct.
From 2018, for those employees whose position is that of section manager or higher, we have been conducting CSR education at a frequency of once a month.
Education on respect for human rights
Employees are recruited irrespective of race, religion, nationality, gender, appearance or age. Screening and interviews are conducted pursuant to company regulations, and excellent human resources who satisfy our employment standards are selected. It should be noted that, in accordance with local laws, we do not engage in the employment of minors.
CHZY complies strictly with all applicable laws and regulations. Besides making effective use of the company’s occupational health and safety management system to safeguard the health and safety of everyone who works for the company, we also strive to create a workplace environment in which employees can work safety and with peace of mind, working together with all employees to create a trusted company with zero danger.
- Through our compliance with laws and regulations, and with internal regulations and standards, we will ensure the safety and health of all employees.
- We will protect ourselves by improving fundamental aspects of equipment safety.
- Continuously improve the work environment and improve occupational health management levels.
- By implementing standardized training, we will review important safety and health arrangements and ensure that employees are familiar with them.
- We will develop real “safety-oriented employees” through multi-faceted experiential training and education.
- Through the implementation and diffusion of safety activities, we will build up a safety-oriented corporate culture at CHZY.
Safety and health targets
- Zero accidents (regardless of whether the accident requires time off work), zero fires, and zero occupational health problems
- Securing designation as a “Hangzhou City Model Company for Safety Culture Establishment”
Education and training for employees
Safety education and training for employees is provided not only for new employees at the time of entering the company but also for all employees once a year.
“Safe employee” awareness of all employees is evaluated not only for employees on sites but also for employees working in the administrative department. We have been stimulating the “safe employee” awareness of all employees by deploying KYT (Hazard Prediction Training) activities.
Based upon the safety results we have achieved thus far, CHZY has been recognized by the Hangzhou Development Area as a Safety Model Company. We obtained Japanese Occupational Safety and Health Management System (OSHMS) Certification in the beginning of 2012. Those standards exceeded what was demanded by government. In November 2014, we were again audited for OSHMS Certification and passed; we also passed our China State Safety Standards Grade 2 Certification re-audit. Looking to the future, we are working to pass the China State Safety Standards Grade 1 Certification.
Responses in case of disasters
- The department in charge of safety and the person in charge of firefighting at each department conduct periodic inspections every month, and the operation status of fire-fighting systems and results of inspection of the fire-fighting equipment are reported at the safety meeting.
- In preparation for a power failure, an engine pump is installed in a product warehouse and operation inspection is conducted every month.
- We conduct fire-fighting and evacuation drills for all employees every year.
- We conduct exercise drills in case of occupational accidents every month.
Promotion of gender equality
China is a country of gender equality and a competent person can be promoted as wages and promotion are determined regardless of gender. Among the managers of the company, there are five female department general managers and four female section managers who are actively engaged in the business.
Employment of people with disabilities
We actively employ people with disabilities corresponding to the recommendations of the national government. We now have 22 people with disabilities and have been commended as a model company employing people with disabilities in Hangzhou in fiscal 2017.
Promoting environmental management
We aim to be a top-class environmentally friendly enterprise that is trusted by the local community and by society as a whole. We also aim to make a positive contribution to Hangzhou in its development as an environmentally friendly city of culture, as well as to the ecological and cultural education of Zhejiang Province.Environmental Policy
- Besides complying with laws and regulations and implementing relevant corporate activities, we also implement sufficient preventive measures against environmental pollution.
- Using the ISO 14001 Management System, we promote continuous improvements.
- By thorough reduction of industrial waste, we will continue toward complete zero emissions.
- Through energy-saving activities involving all employees, we strive to reduce CO2 emissions.
- We aim to contribute to the prevention of global warming by providing environmentally friendly products.
- We promote a variety of activities to safeguard biodiversity, including the Yokohama Forever Forest initiative, and we will continue to implement activities that contribute to the recovery of the local natural environment in the future.
- We will continue to implement education and awareness-raising activities so that all persons working at the Company understand the policy and act in accordance with it.
- Industrial waste Compared to 2018 Unit base 5% reduction
- Energy Compared to 2018 Unit base 3% reduction
- Continuation/Maintenance of zero emissions
Move the screen to the left or right to see the table information
|Waste generated (t)||1,540||1,458||1,205||1,338||1,197|
|Proportion sent to landfill (%)||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0|
|Landfill waste (t)||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0|
(oil equivalent: kl)
|Greenhouse gas emissions (1,000t-CO2)||60.8||71.8||79.3||84.5||75.0|
|Water usage (1,000m3)||121||98||75||72||80.1|
- FY: January to December
- Greenhouse gas emissions were calculated based on the Calculation and Reporting Manual for Greenhouse Gas Emissions jointly published by the Ministry of the Environment and the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Japan. The calculation of emissions from overseas business locations since FY2015 has been based on the Greenhouse Gas Protocol Initiative.
Reporting on chemical substance management status (Pollutant Release and Transfer Register (PRTR) Law compliance)
Regarding the issue of environmental responsiveness about which there is ever heightening consciousness each and every year, the company is responding in a variety of ways. During the course of 2018, the Hangzhou Xiasha Economic and Technological Development Area where the company is located was subject to inspection on nine occasions by the Environmental Office, the result of which was that there were no inspection categories that the company failed to pass.
During November and December of 2018, nighttime environmental patrols were carried out by company employees of the rank of section manager and higher.
Noise, vibration and odor
We periodically undertake the measurement of noise and vibration levels as well as undertake to implement the installation of sound-proofed walls. Each quarter, an independent inspection company is requested to measure the company’s wastewater, its emissions and its noise levels.
Furthermore, we are also pushing forward with improvements such as odor countermeasures for the mixing process.
Fair Operating Practices
We aim to be able to quickly respond to social change, be widely trusted by the local community, and be a company for whom all our employees are proud to work for.
- We will maintain compliance with applicable laws and regulations, and we will carry out our operations in accordance with both internal and external rules.
- We will put in place the systems needed to prevent improper behavior; and will also create a working environment in which employees can work with full peace of mind.
- We will continue to comply with laws and regulations, and to maintain a harmonious relationship with, and develop together with, the local community.
- We will continue to emphasize fairness and equitableness, and to implement education and cultivation efforts aimed at ensuring that all employees understand the importance of such values.
- Zero instances of compliance breaches
- Zero instances of damage to corporate reputation
Striving to ensure fair transactions and to prevent misconduct
In regard to selection of suppliers, the purchasing department of our parent company mainly deals with the selection.
Communication with customers
As CHZY is a manufacturing company, we do not directly respond to consumers. Rather, we sell our products to the sales company of our group.
Responses to complaints
The Quality Assurance Design Department responds to complaints about products from original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and dealers.
Community Involvement and Development
Relationship with local societies
CHZY has collaborated with the Environmental Office of the Hangzhou Xiasha Economic and Technological Development Area in the holding of tree-planting events to which have been invited both local residents and students. Through such activities cooperation between government and business has been strengthened, and by holding study meetings on the topic of environmental conservation and participating in a variety of different activities, the company has publicized its environmental philosophy.
Concerning activities that were undertaken in support of biodiversity, samples of insect and plant species, etc., were gathered along the banks of the Qiantang River in relatively close proximity to the company. Furthermore, activities also took place that helped with the removal of Canadian goldenrod (Solidago canadensis), a species of invasive weed.
Concerning the aforementioned activities, through the efforts of the company, there was also participation on the part of other companies based in the development area, and that allowed for more effort to be put into intercompany communications.
Green Development Promotion Association activities
Since June 2017, CHZY has collaborated with two other companies (with the Environmental Office of the Hangzhou Xiasha Economic and Technological Development Area also playing a leading role). That collaboration has led to the establishment of the “Hangzhou Xiasha Economic and Technological Development Area Green Development Promotion Association” which, through fostering exchanges with government agencies, business enterprises, local residents and schools, carries out activities to safeguard the local environment.
Waste reusage activities
To deepen understanding regarding the reusage of waste, local residents were invited to the company, and activities to make waste into pieces of artwork and containers were carried out.
Trash separation activities
Trash separation activities were carried out for the benefit of the residents of the Shinko community.
Through study meetings and the actual separation of trash, awareness improvement and conservation activities are being strengthened together with local communities.
During the course of 2018, a total of around 500 local schoolchildren and residents took part in tours of the company, where they were given environmental education presentations on topics such as energy efficiency and water purification, etc.