Hangzhou Yokohama Tire Co., Ltd. (CHZY)
Production and sales of tires for passenger carsTotal site area
133,000 m2Number of employees
1,169 (as of December 2021)Location
55, No.3 Street, Hangzhou Xiasha Economic and Technological Development Area, Hangzhou 310018, CHINAContact for consultation and complaints
TEL: +86-571-8672-5885 FAX: +86-571-8672-5753
Message from the President
Like last year, 2021 was a year of rapid change: in addition to the various restrictions imposed by COVID-19, there was a global "semiconductor shortage" and power restrictions within China, making it a very challenging year for our company. Under these circumstances, our employees worked together to implement a variety of measures.
We are positioned as a "safety model company" and an "environmental education base" in the development zone, and we will continue to implement various measures to achieve both economic development and environmental contribution.
We have been continued to enhance the basic system for internal control in 2021, and thus there were no incidents of misconduct.
For those employees whose position is that of section manager or higher, we have been conducting CSR education at a frequency of once a month.
Education on respect for human rights
Employees are recruited irrespective of race, religion, nationality, gender, appearance or age. Screening and interviews are conducted pursuant to company regulations, and excellent human resources who satisfy our employment standards are selected. It should be noted that, in accordance with local laws, we do not engage in the employment of minors.
CHZY complies strictly with all applicable laws and regulations. Besides making effective use of the company’s occupational health and safety management system to safeguard the health and safety of everyone who works for the company, we also strive to create a workplace environment in which employees can work safety and with peace of mind, working together with all employees to create a trusted company with zero danger.
- Through our compliance with laws and regulations, and with internal regulations and standards, we will ensure the safety and health of all employees.
- We protect ourselves by continuously conducting risk assessments and improving the essentials of equipment safety.
- To steadily improve the work environment and raise the level of occupational health management.
- By implementing standardized training, we will review important safety and health arrangements and ensure that employees are familiar with them.
- We will develop real “safety-oriented employees” through multi-faceted experiential training and education.
- Through the implementation and diffusion of safety activities, we will build up a safety-oriented corporate culture at CHZY.
Safety and health targets
- Zero accidents (regardless of absence from work), zero fires, zero occupational health problems, and zero traffic accidents
- Maintain OSHMS and prepare for transition to ISO management system
Education and training for employees
In 2021, we did not hold a general manager's safety morning meeting for employees to gather due to the quarantine measures against COVID-19. As an alternative, the general manager issued a general safety reminder via in-house broadcast.
We have set up a safety sensory training room, and safety education and training is provided not only to new employees at the time of joining the company, but also to all employees once a year.
“Safe employee” awareness for all employees is also implemented for employees of external contractors working in the plant. We often receive visitors from neighboring companies to observe our sensory training room.
In China, June is "Safety and Production Month" and November is "Firefighting Month," and we are conducting a variety of activities to promote safety and fire prevention. Evacuation and fire drills are held once a year with the participation of all employees.
We obtained Japanese Occupational Safety and Health Management System (OSHMS) Certification in the beginning of 2012. Those standards exceeded what was demanded by government. We have passed re-audits in 2014, 2017, and again in April 2021. We are also scheduled to undergo another renewal audit for China State Safety Standard Grade 2 in December 2022. Looking to the future, we are working to pass the China State Safety Standards Grade 1 Certification.
Based upon the health management results we have achieved for our employees, CHZY has been recognized as a "Hangzhou Healthy Company" by the Hangzhou Health Office.
Responses in case of disasters
- The department in charge of safety and the person in charge of firefighting at each department conduct periodic inspections every month, and the operation status of fire-fighting systems and results of inspection of the fire-fighting equipment are reported at the safety meeting.
- In preparation for power failure, an engine pump is installed in the product warehouse, and its operation is checked every month.
- Evacuation drills are conducted once a year for all employees.
- Drills are conducted every month for priority control areas (small fire equipment room, product warehouse, etc.).
- Monthly drills for work observation and occupational accidents are also conducted.
Promotion of gender equality
China is a country of gender equality and a competent person can be promoted as wages and promotion are determined regardless of gender. Among the managers of the company, there are three female department general managers (30%) and five female section managers (20%) who are actively engaged in the business.
Employment of people with disabilities
We actively employ people with disabilities corresponding to the recommendations of the national government. We now have 22 people with disabilities and have been commended as a model company employing people with disabilities in Hangzhou in fiscal 2017.
Promoting environmental management
We aim to be a top-class environmentally friendly enterprise that is trusted by the local community and by society as a whole. We also aim to make a positive contribution to Hangzhou in its development as an environmentally friendly city of culture, as well as to the ecological and cultural education of Zhejiang Province.Environmental Policy
- Besides complying with laws and regulations and implementing relevant corporate activities, we also implement sufficient preventive measures against environmental pollution.
- To utilize the ISO 14001 management system to prevent environmental risks.
- Strengthen education and awareness-raising activities to ensure that everyone who works at the company understands and acts on this policy.
- By thorough reduction of industrial waste, we will continue toward complete zero emissions.
- We will contribute to the prevention of global warming by reducing CO2 emissions through proactive efforts in various activities, including energy conservation, to achieve carbon neutrality in accordance with national policies and the Yokohama Group's policies.
- We promote a variety of activities to safeguard biodiversity, including the Yokohama Forever Forest initiative, and we will continue to implement activities that contribute to the recovery of the local natural environment in the future.
- Industrial waste Compared to 2021 Unit base 3% reduction
- Energy Compared to 2021 Unit base 3% reduction
- Continuation/Maintenance of zero emissions
Move the screen to the left or right to see the table information
|Waste Disposed (t)||1,302||1,195||1,128||1,148||1,138|
|Proportion sent to landfill (%)||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0|
|Landfill waste (t)||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0|
(oil equivalent: kl)
|Greenhouse gas emissions (1,000t-CO2)||84.5||75.0||72.4||69.2||71.4|
|Water usage (1,000m3)||72||80.1||83.0||81.4||77.7|
- FY: January to December
- Greenhouse gas emissions were calculated based on the Calculation and Reporting Manual for Greenhouse Gas Emissions jointly published by the Ministry of the Environment and the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Japan. The calculation of emissions from overseas business locations since FY2015 has been based on the Greenhouse Gas Protocol Initiative.
Reporting on chemical substance management status (Pollutant Release and Transfer Register (PRTR) Law compliance)
Regarding the issue of environmental responsiveness about which there is ever heightening consciousness each and every year, the company is responding in a variety of ways. During the course of 2021, the Hangzhou Xiasha Economic and Technological Development Area where the company is located was subject to inspection on ten occasions by the Environmental Office, the result of which was that there were no inspection categories that the company failed to pass.
Noise, vibration and odor
We periodically undertake the measurement of noise and vibration levels as well as undertake to implement the installation of sound-proofed walls. Each quarter, an independent inspection company is requested to measure the company’s wastewater, its emissions and its noise levels.
Furthermore, we are also pushing forward with improvements such as odor countermeasures for the mixing process.
Fair Operating Practices
We aim to be able to quickly respond to social change, be widely trusted by the local community, and be a company for whom all our employees are proud to work for.
- We will maintain compliance with applicable laws and regulations, and we will carry out our operations in accordance with both internal and external rules.
- We will put in place the systems needed to prevent improper behavior; and will also create a working environment in which employees can work with full peace of mind.
- We will continue to comply with laws and regulations, and to maintain a harmonious relationship with, and develop together with, the local community.
- We will continue to emphasize fairness and equitableness, and to implement education and cultivation efforts aimed at ensuring that all employees understand the importance of such values.
- We will strictly deal with illegal activities in accordance with YRC's CSR policy.
- Zero instances of compliance breaches
- Zero instances of damage to corporate reputation
Striving to ensure fair transactions and to prevent misconduct
As part of our efforts, we have established procurement-related procedures and rules, and have made the flow of purchasing transparent. In addition, we conduct preliminary investigations of new suppliers, and periodically evaluate suppliers. We require our legal staff to check our purchasing contracts.Lectures from legal counsel and other experts are also provided.Purchasing of raw materials is mainly handled by the controlling company.
Communication with customers
As CHZY is a manufacturing company, we do not directly respond to consumers. Rather, we sell our products to the sales company of our group.
Responses to complaints
The Quality Assurance Design Department responds to complaints about products from original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and dealers.
Community Involvement and Development
Relationship with local societies
As a model for environmental protection within the Qiantang New Area, we have invited local residents, businesses and students to hold a tree planting event at the "Forever Forest". Through these activities, we will widely promote our philosophy of restoring the local natural environment. Furthermore, by participating in various events, we aim to strengthen the partnership between the government, businesses and the community, and to be a genuine environmental contribution company that is trusted by society.
We had to refrain from internal activities in 2021 due to COVID-19, but we are planning a small event in 2022.
In 2021, various anti-fraud events are being held all over the country. Companies, complexes, and schools are planning a rich variety of activities based on their knowledge and wisdom. In order to raise awareness of fraud prevention among all employees, our company, in cooperation with the Federation of Ping An Enterprises, invited a lawyer to give a lecture on the theme of "Fraud Prevention" to fraud prevention staff in each department and managers at the section manager level and above.
Green Development Promotion Association activities
Since the establishment of the Green Development Promotion Association, CHZY, as the vice-president company, cooperates with other companies to actively carry out activities related to local environmental protection. We will continuously raise environmental awareness and achieve a regional win-win through regular interactions between government, businesses, residents and schools. We also participated in the October 22, 2021 Eco-Painting Match.
In-house waste pickup activities
June is Environment Month and June 5 is also World Environment Day. On June 5, we held a round-the-company trash pickup activity as a day to reaffirm the importance of environmental preservation and to raise environmental awareness.
Legal Knowledge Course
On January 1, 2021, China's new "Civil Code" went into effect. In order to raise the level of legal common sense of all managers, a legal lecture on the ＜Code of Civil Law＞ was held by an outside lawyer on June 29. Through this event, the legal common sense of the entire management staff was further strengthened.
Participation in Government Meetings
In order to keep abreast of government directives and new policies in a timely manner, we actively participated in meetings organized by the Environmental Bureau.
- March: Sewage Discharge Permit Related Training Meeting
- May: Zero-Discharge of Sewage Conference
- July: Zero waste plant construction related meeting
- September: Conference on eliminating problems related to volatile organic matter emissions
- October: Meeting on demand for response to heavily polluted weather at key enterprises