Currently, society faces various issues such as the depletion of natural resources, climate change, and the destruction of ecosystems, and all business activities have an impact on the environment. Furthermore, it is also a fact that changes in the environment can lead to major risks involving business continuity. For this reason Yokohama Rubber works to minimize its environmental footprint in all of its business processes. As part of these efforts, assessments are conducted with respect to global warming prevention, resource recycling, resource conservation, and safety and comfort in the design review process for new products, and we provide customers with environmentally friendly products.
This way of thinking, and these activities, have been clearly stated in the Yokohama Rubber Environmental Policy as declarations both inside and outside of the company of our position as a top-level environment-friendly company. In addition, the actions that should be taken by employees are stipulated in the Yokohama Rubber Group Action Guidelines.
Yokohama Rubber Basic Environmental Policy
Following the principle of dealing fairly with society and valuing harmony with the environment, we shall assert our world-class strengths in technologies for protecting the environment.
- Continued improvement of environmental management.
- Action to combat global warming.
- Contributing to the creation of a sustainable recycling society.
Yokohama Rubber Environmental Policy
Following the principle of dealing fairly with society and valuing harmony with the environment, we shall embody “Caring for the Future” for the global environment and assert our world-class strengths in technologies to protect it.
- Under leadership of top management, Yokohama Rubber will globally initiate environmentally-conscious measures in all of its activities, and will put this into practice across its entire organization.
- Yokohama Rubber will deepen communications with stakeholders and will strive to make contributions to local communities and to society as a whole.
- Yokohama Rubber will strengthen its environmental management system and will aim to achieve zero environmental risk by continually striving to help improve the environment by using approaches to mitigate its impact with chemical substance management, prevent environmental pollution, and reduce sensory nuisances.
- Yokohama Rubber will comply with all related laws, regulations, and agreements as well as endeavor to continually implement activities that help improve the environment.
- Yokohama Rubber will strive to prevent global warming, conserve energy and resources as well as promote resource recycling, aiming at the fulfillment of a recycling-oriented and low-carbon society.
- Yokohama Rubber will strive to conserve biological diversity and use biological resources sustainably in its business activities.
- Yokohama Rubber will promote harmony with local communities as part of its commitment to work with and become a company that is trusted by local communities.
- Yokohama Rubber shall publish this policy and make it known to all.
Yokohama Rubber Group Action Guidelines
We shall harmonize our activities with the global environment.
<Basic Stance of the Yokohama Rubber Group>
- As members of a corporate group with the highest levels of contribution to the environment, we shall take up the challenge of environment-related issues and help to build a sustainable society.
- We shall construct and operate mechanisms for companywide management in order to observe environmental laws and regulations in each host country and region.
<To practice our basic stance ? our action>
- We shall observe all laws and regulations for prevention of air pollution, water pollution, soil contamination, etc.
- In accordance with laws and regulations, we shall control environment-burdening substances, strive to reduce environmental risks deriving from them, and exclude prohibited chemical substances from our product manufacturing processes.
- In all stages of our business activities, we shall eliminate the waste of resources and energy, and reduce emissions of CO2 and other greenhouse gases.
- In all stages of our business activities, we shall promote the reduction of industrial waste derivation and final disposal volumes.
- In order to preserve biodiversity, we shall engage in various activities in accordance with our Guidelines on Biodiversity.
Message from a manager
With the aim of achieving harmony with the global environment in line with international agreements, and in order to achieve sustainable business management, the Yokohama Rubber Group is promoting the homogenization of global environmental management aimed at the realization of a low carbon society, the realization of a resource recycling oriented society, and the preservation of biological diversity. For the realization of a low carbon society, we deliver environmentally friendly products that are assessed through our new product design reviews to customers, and work to reduce greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) throughout the entire value chain in accordance with the medium to long-term targets. For the realization of a resource recycling oriented society, we have promoted the recycling of regenerated rubber and reduction of industrial waste, and all of our production bases achieved completely zero emissions. In regard to the preservation of biological diversity, we are conducting surveys and preservation activities in order to reduce water risks in environments near our domestic and overseas production bases as well as to help ensure the stable supply of natural rubber overseas.
Furthermore, we believe that the tree planting and seedling activities in local communities and disaster areas as part our Yokohama Forever Forest Project reflect our intent to work together with local communities in order to continue protecting our blue earth.
We will promote these activities in coordination with Group companies in locations including China, Asia, North America, and Europe.
Head of Environmental Protection Promotion Department, Corporate Social Responsibility Division
Vision for FY 2020
- We will maintain all of our products as environmentally friendly ones.
- 50% reduction in total GHG emissions compared to 2005 in the value chain by 2050.
- We will promote the effective use of water resources in line with the characteristics of water risks.
- We will implement biodiversity preservation activities at production bases.
- Plan 1.3 million trees under the YOKOHAMA Forever Forest Project by 2030
- Promote CSR procurement of resources including natural rubber, etc.
- Achieve zero environmental risks
Main action items to be addressed first
The following items have been established as the main action items that the Yokohama Rubber Group will address first in consideration of the level of impact of business activities and the level of social interest.