In order for Yokohama Rubber to be a company that continues providing value to society, partnerships with suppliers based on strong trust relationships are essential. In addition, the scope of corporate social responsibility has expanded to not only include one’s own company, but also suppliers for the procurement of raw materials, goods, and services required for business activities, and we believe that it is necessary for Yokohama Rubber to promote CSR that improves corporate value for suppliers so that it is a win-win relationship for both companies. In particular, because there are suppliers from emerging and developing countries in the upstream of the supply chain for our business, we also recognize the importance of assessment from a social and environmental perspective.This stance is declared in the Basic Procurement Policy, and the actions that should be taken by employees are stipulated in the Yokohama Rubber Group Action Guidelines.
Yokohama Rubber’s Basic Procurement Policy
In making our CSR management vision a reality, we conduct our procurement activities in accordance with the policies below.
- Optimal procurement of goods and services
In order to offer high-quality products, Yokohama Rubber strives to procure optimal materials, services, works and constructions.
- Fair and impartial business
Yokohama Rubber does business based on principles of fairness, and free competition, and seeks its suppliers from all around the world.
- Rational selection of our partners
Yokohama Rubber chooses its suppliers on the basis of economic rationality taking into comprehensive account the quality and prices that they offer and their stability of supply, technological development capabilities, and concern for the CSR and environment.
Yokohama Rubber nurture fair and cooperative relationship with its suppliers through sound transactions.
To build a sustainable society, Yokohama Rubber develops activities for CSR and environment contribution throughout its supply chains.
Yokohama Rubber complies with all relevant legislation and social norms in its procurement activities and preserves the confidentiality of information obtained in the course of business. It also endeavors to act with moderation so as to avoid causing misunderstandings in light of commonly accepted social standards.
- Harmony with the environment
Yokohama Rubber strives to procure raw materials that have less of an impact on the global environment.
Yokohama Rubber contributes to conservation of biodiversity and sustainable use of natural resources including Natural Rubber.
Yokohama Rubber Group Action Guidelines
We shall observe not only laws and regulations but also social norms.
Basic stance of the Yokohama Rubber Group
- We shall not engage in any activity that is in violation of the competition-related law (antitrust legislation), any acts of bribery, and any other acts that deviate from laws, regulations, or business conventions.
- We shall open our doors wide to all prospective suppliers, engage in just and fair transactions with them, and construct partnerships grounded in observance of laws and regulations and in mutual trust. In addition, we shall take approaches with them to CSR issues (in the aspects of the environment, safety, human rights & labor, and compliance), ascertain the facts of their situation, and proactively assist them in their related efforts.
To practice our basic stance—our action
- We shall observe the competition-related law (antitrust legislation) in each host country and related laws and regulations (such as the Japanese Act against Delay in Payment of Subcontract Proceeds, Etc. to Subcontractors).
- We shall maintain sound relations with political groups and public administrative authorities, and shall not engage in any acts of bribery, in Japan or any other country or region. We shall not entertain, give any gifts to, or give any money to business partners for the purpose of gaining illicit advantage.
- We shall protect the intellectual property of the Yokohama Rubber Group, including technical information at hand. We shall not illicitly acquire or use intellectual property belonging to third parties, or infringe upon their rights.
- We shall strive to understand and observe the laws and regulations pertaining to the work to which we are assigned, and to preclude the occurrence of risks in the workplace. In the event of any deviation, we shall swiftly make corrections.
- When we suspect the existence of illegal acts in our own conduct or that of others, we shall not ignore it; instead, we shall confirm conformance with the law by utilizing the setup for whistle-blowing.
CSR Procurement Guidelines
Message from a manager
The Yokohama Rubber Group’s Procurement Policy is “to build relationships of trust based on equitable and fair trade in its aim for co-existence, prosperity, and mutual development” and to select suppliers based on economical reasonability under consideration of comprehensive perspectives; their quality, price, stable supply, ability for technology development, and consideration to the environment, human rights, and occupational safety and health. We believe that true CSR consists of expanding business with suppliers that can understand and support our policies in the areas near our production bases and working towards co-prosperity with the region rather than as a single company. We hold Supplier Study Meetings and CSR and Environment Contribution Awards as part of our aim to conduct CSR activities together.
Indirect Materials Procurement Department, Global Procurement Division
Vision for FY 2017
- Our company is able to enhance various CSR activities by working hand-in-hand with our partners.
Main action items to be addressed first
The following items have been established as the main action items that the Yokohama Rubber Group will address first in consideration of the level of impact of business activities and the level of social interest.